St. John Berchmans
St. John Berchmans church was constructed next to where the old Agency was located in the Jocko Valley.
The original church was built in 1884 and burned down in 1958. The current church, also dating from the mid 1880s, started out as the private chapel of the Jesuits Community in St. Ignatius. It was moved to Jocko in 1961 and given a new exterior, while the original altar and décor were left intact. The wood ceiling carvings were made by a gentleman (unfortunately, his name is lost to history) who carved decorative ceilings for Pullman Rail Company. The carvings are of the Sacred Heart of Jesus and the Christogram ‘IHS’. The ‘IHS’ stems from the first three letters of the Greek spelling of the name of Jesus; IH∑OYE, (iota-eta-sigma). In this depiction, we also see the Cross as the center of all things and the three nails of the Crucifixion.